Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Round robin to storage servers (disks)

2014-09-19 12:14:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Round robin to storage servers (disks)
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:10:29 -0400
On 9/19/2014 11:35 AM, Hendrik Visage wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
> wrote:
>> On 9/19/2014 9:15 AM, Hendrik Visage wrote:
>>> Goodday,
>>>
>>>    I'm investigating options, and my need is to send back-ups to
>>> separate storage servers in a round robin fashion. Typically only one
>>> of them will be connected at a time.
>> How do you intend to restore stuff?
> Start with the last full backup and then restore the
> incrementals/differentials after that as in normal recovery methods?
>
> The servers are big and oldish and they have enough disk space for my
> current needs and thus not sensible to buy extra hardware yet, but to
> have them all run 7x24x366 is a waste of electricity (and heat and
> and), so the idea is to turn on the one for that day's backups, and
> let it power off via cron after backups finished. If a recovery is
> needed, I can turn them all on for that recovery session.

If they both have sufficient disk space, then I suggest configuring the
two servers in a two-node Pacemaker cluster using DRBD shared storage.
Bacula Dir and clients will always see the cluster as a single entity
(IP address), and so no special handling or scheduling would be
required. Of course, DRBD is a sort of network RAID-1, so both servers
must have sufficient disk space to hold all volumes.