Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows client always backs up zero byte files and empty directories

2014-09-19 11:11:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows client always backs up zero byte files and empty directories
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:08:20 +0100

> Think I'm missing something in my setup here, but don't know what.
>
> I'm running director and sd version 7.0.5 on a CentOS box, and backing
> up (among others) a Windows Vista Home Premium client (which is running
> 5.2.10). I'm finding that the incremental saves for the Windows client
> ALWAYS include all the empty directories and zero-byte files, whether
> they've changed or not.
>
> Looking at the bat/brestore console, I can see for example that a
> certain zero-byte file is listed in every incremental backup, and that
> it has the same date and Chksum in every entry.
>
> I'm using accurate mode backups, with accurate=pinsmc1:
>
> FileSet {
>    Name = Windows
>    Include {
>      Options {
>        compression=GZIP
>        signature=SHA1
>        accurate=pinsmc1
>        checkfilechanges=yes
>      }
>
> with the includes and excludes pretty normal (a few * wildcards in the
> excludes, but nothing fancy). I'm also backing up a few Linux clients
> and a MacOS client with the same director and not noticing this behavior
> with those (two of the linux clients are 7.0.5, and the other one as
> well as the Mac client is 5.2.6).
>
> Anything obvious jumping out at anybody? I can provide more info if
> needed, but figured I'd start with some basics.

You could try setting the debug level to 100 in the client (setdebug
client=Windows level=100 trace=1) to see what it is comparing.

You could also look at the lstat column for those files in the file table to
see what differs (see .bvfs_decode_lstat at
http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/main/New_Features_in_7_0_0.html#SECTION003129000000000000000).

__Martin