Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migrate: copy or duplicate?

2014-09-15 06:46:13
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migrate: copy or duplicate?
From: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:43:38 +0000

Hi all,

My current  configuration backs up to a NAS, and later though a migration job moves completed backups to tape for off-site storage.

That puts up a dilemma: copy, or move?

When I copy the backups to tape, I understand that only the original (NAS) version remains in the database, which would complicate things if ever a backup has to be restored from tape (find out which tape contains the files you are looking for, then scan that tape to get its catalog, etc.).

When I move (migrate) them to tape, the backups on NAS are deleted at that time. Tapes are stored off-site, so I have to get in my car and go get them before I can restore anything.

Isn’t there a way to achieve a combination of both of these, so a copy would sort of “duplicate” the data in the database as well, and allow me to restore from the NAS or from tape, whichever is handy and available?

It would be even better (saving space on the NAS) if I could use different retention periods for both copies.