Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrate: copy or duplicate?

2014-09-15 07:06:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrate: copy or duplicate?
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:04:21 +0200
Hello,

Hi all,

My current  configuration backs up to a NAS, and later though a migration job moves completed backups to tape for off-site storage.

That puts up a dilemma: copy, or move?

When I copy the backups to tape, I understand that only the original (NAS) version remains in the database, which would complicate things if ever a backup has to be restored from tape (find out which tape contains the files you are looking for, then scan that tape to get its catalog, etc.).

No. All copies goes to database as well, but they are indirectly available for restore and are promoted as a main backup only when original job expire. I could be wrong about it, but it was working as described last time I've check.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net