Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Ubuntu 14.04 (was Re: Bacula for OSX 10.9)

2014-09-11 10:38:54
Subject: [Bacula-users] Ubuntu 14.04 (was Re: Bacula for OSX 10.9)
From: Richard Mortimer <richm AT oldelvet.org DOT uk>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, Eric Dannewitz <edannewitz AT rdschool DOT org>, "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:15:23 +0100
Hi,

I'm coming late to this thread but...

On 07/09/2014 10:42, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On 09/07/2014 07:33 AM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
>> I'm interested in perhaps deploying this in my k-8 school, but I have not
>> found a good tutorial of how to install it. Or if it even works right on Mac.
>>
>> Anyone have some insights on this? My idea would be to back about 30 macs to
>> an Ubuntu server.
>
> This would be a good way to setup Bacula.  The Director, SD and catalog
> work well on a Ubuntu server -- I recommend Trusty (14.04).
A word of caution - I updated the Ubuntu server that runs my
director/mysql from 12.04 to 14.04 a couple of weeks ago using the
versions packaged as part of the distribution.

When my differential/full backup jobs ran over the past 2 weekends I
noticed that they were taking a bit longer than they had been prior to
the upgrade. In the case of full backups this past weekend one job that
previously took 4 hours now took 28 hours for a system with 1 million
files to backup!

I initially wondered if an "improvement" to MySQL had changed the
operation of things and maybe the database needed some tuning. I'd also
spent very little time optimising my Bacula configuration because it
always worked well enough!

After a bit of investigation I worked out that the principle problem was
batch insertion of attributes into the database. It turns out that
Ubuntu ship something approximating to Bacula 5.2.6. That version does
not have the optimised version of batch insertion (in blocks of 32
entries) and instead inserts each entry into the batch table singly.
Two days ago I did a very rough and ready local build/backport of the
relevant changes to src/cats/mysql.c and that seems to have brought the
backup times down to sensible levels.

For reference the relevant change is
http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/commit/?id=a06b88f9c66cd697bc067807c4da14f232675d08

I haven't reported this in either Ubuntu (or Debian) bugtrackers yet but
I believe that a similar thing will also affect the other database
backends because they don't have the batch optimisations in 5.2.6 either.

I suspect that the real solution would be to package the latest 5.2.13
(or even 7.x series) for Ubuntu but it is something to be aware of if
you plan on using the native packages.

Side note: I'm not sure why the performance went down between 12.04 and
14.04 because I kept the same bacula/mysql configuration between the
two. I can only assume that it was something related to disk persistence
where 14.04 was actually waiting for the information to be properly on
the disk before letting an SQL transaction commit.

Regards

Richard