Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] I need help

2014-04-10 16:04:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] I need help
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT ca.rutgers DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 15:42:03 -0400

It's not clear to me what's objectionable about the post about Bareos.
All of the assertions contain "allegedly" as far as I can see it. If
there's something untrue, it would probably be better to correct it
rather than to remove it.

On 04/10/2014 03:19 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello Phil,
>
> You did a nice job of summarizing it -- thanks.
>
> I will add one more point. Perhaps some of you may think that I am
> against all forks of Bacula.  But in fact that is not true.  There
> are already several forks of Bacula and I have known about them for
> quite some time (well before Bareos), and you have never heard me
> complain about them.
>
> Let me mention just one "burp" (strange name, but certainly no
> worse that what Bacula means).  The guy who wrote it was also a
> Bacula contributor (and if I am not mistaken a Bacula Systems
> partner).
>
> All you have to do is read the first few lines of his home page
> that explain why he created the fork and you can see that he is a
> good guy, he just wanted to do something different.  I respect him
> and wish him well with his fork.
>
> Best regards, Kern
>
> On 04/09/2014 10:49 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 04/09/14 16:37, Randall Svancara wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Bacula is a great product and it is great to see that it is
>>> thriving. Obviously the Bareos fork is giving  you grief as it
>>> aims to provide a competing product under a more open licensing
>>> model.  Although you could litigate or wage war on the Bareos
>>> project, and put all your efforts into their demise.  I might
>>> suggest your efforts would be better served at building a
>>> stronger community in the Bacula project.  Show Bareos why
>>> Bacula is better through a thriving, well supported community
>>> that wants to contribute to make Bacula better.  Taking the
>>> higher road on this might be a better strategy.  Eventually all
>>> campaigns to defame another will come back to bite you in some
>>> way.   Keep building a great product and I think you will find
>>> in time that Bareos will simply disappear. Move the technology
>>> forward, make it easier to use, provide a great value
>>> proposition and  you will win every time.  If I were you, I
>>> would see the Bareos project as an opportunity to raise the
>>> bar, make a better product.
>>
>> Randall, You are missing the point.
>>
>> The issue is not that Bareos is a fork of Bacula.  If Bareos were
>> a clean, above-the-board fork of Bacula community edition,
>> conducted openly and maintaining all due attribution and credit,
>> there would not be a problem.  But that's not what happened.
>> DassIT created the Bareos fork in secret using Bacula Enterprise
>> code stolen from Bacula Systems by a consultant who was under
>> non-disclosure agreement, removed all of the author attributions
>> from the code in an apparent attempt to disguise the theft, and
>> then launched a smear campaign against Bacula.
>>
>> I think you will have to agree this is a very different state of
>> affairs.

- --
 ____*Note: UMDNJ is now Rutgers-Biomedical and Health Sciences*
 ||_// Biomedical | Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
 || \\ and Health | novosirj AT rutgers DOT edu - 973/972.0922 (2x0922)
 ||  \\  Sciences | OIT/EI-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark
      `'