Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] managing backups of multiple remote customers

2014-04-06 18:16:28
Subject: [Bacula-users] managing backups of multiple remote customers
From: luca_uby AT yahoo DOT it
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 23:06:23 +0100 (BST)
Greetings

This is going to be a very general question about bacula capabilities as I'm trying to understand if this is the right tool for my scenario. I'm new to this software so please excuse me if I'm making obvious mistakes in my reasonings.

Basically I would like to set up off-site backups for some of our customers. The data to backup is not too big and bandwidth is enough. I would like to have a single point where I can check if the backups are working and as a bonus the customers should be able to recover files by themselves (without seeing other people data)

I was thinking to set up a director and storage service on my servers and install Bacula clients on the customers servers.
Now, the major problem is I do not have full control over those remote servers, meaning I can install the Bacula client on them but I can't ask them to open a Nat on their routers nor can I install vpn clients on their network to allow my bacula director to directly contact the clients. They contain sensitive data so they often do not want to expose these servers in any way. Outgoing communication to my servers on the other hand is not a problem.

Can the client poll the director instead of being the other way around?
Alternatively I was thinking a solution could be to install a director at each remote location but I guess I would no longer be able to monitor the backups as a whole.
Am I missing something?
Should I use a different backup solution?

Thank you for your time
Luca