Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] managing backups of multiple remote customers

2014-04-06 18:43:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] managing backups of multiple remote customers
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 18:39:02 -0400
On 04/06/14 18:06, luca_uby AT yahoo DOT it wrote:
> I was thinking to set up a director and storage service on my servers
> and install Bacula clients on the customers servers.
> Now, the major problem is I do not have full control over those remote
> servers, meaning I can install the Bacula client on them but I can't ask
> them to open a Nat on their routers nor can I install vpn clients on
> their network to allow my bacula director to directly contact the
> clients. They contain sensitive data so they often do not want to expose
> these servers in any way. Outgoing communication to my servers on the
> other hand is not a problem.

Short version:  if your customers want you to run a remote backup
service for them but won't allow you to have a communication channel
their servers to do it, you have a problem.  If their data is so
sensitive they won't allow a VPN to the backup server, it's probably too
sensitive to be backed up remotely anyway, and if that's the case they
should consider local backup to removable media and a bonded offsite
archival service.  (In the US, Iron Mountain would be such a service.)

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications