Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Newbie setting up virtual full on disk

2013-12-20 11:58:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Newbie setting up virtual full on disk
From: Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown AT byu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:54:54 -0700
Hi, all.  I'm in the middle of trying to get a largely inherited bacula
setup (v5.2.13), to do virtual fulls correctly.  Can someone point me in
the right direction?  I'm attaching a file with some relevant excerpts
from bacula-sd.conf and bacula-dir.conf.

Now for the longer explanation:

We have a working bacula setup based on v5.2.13, where we're doing
monthly full, and daily incremental backups, and the storage is some
SAS-attached disk (HW RAID6, LVM, and XFS, but I doubt that matters).
We'd like to move to periodic (monthly?) virtual fulls, instead of
traditional fulls.  But with the setup attached, any VirtualFull jobs
keep getting stuck waiting for storage.

The documentation makes it sound like I need to create a second (or
more) Device entries in my bacula-sd.conf, but in the case of file-based
storage, doesn't that mean I'll have to keep the virtual tape files in a
separate directory?  I'd really rather keep them all together, and not
define any line between the space/files available for fulls vs the
space/files available for incrementals.  I will if that's necessary, but
I'd rather not.

Any pointers?  What's the right approach to take here?  Am I missing
something very obvious?

Thanks,

--
Lloyd Brown