Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Planning large installation

2013-12-19 18:21:55
Subject: [Bacula-users] Planning large installation
From: Romeo Theriault <romeot AT hawaii DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:18:58 -1000
Hello, we're planning a fairly large Bacula backup environment (~500 clients). The environment will be a purely disk based backup environment and I'm trying to determine the "best" way to configure the devices/pools/volumes so we can have:

* a large amount of concurrent backups
* maximum flexibility in changing individual client backup schedules without having to hold onto huge volumes for an extended period of time

How are other large installations managing their devices/pools/volumes? I've read of some folks creating new pools/devices for each of their backup jobs so each job is in it's own volume and you can have lots of concurrent jobs while maintaining flexibility in client retention periods without huge volumes. Is this viable for a large installation?

Any tips or pointers are appreciated.

Thank you,
Romeo