Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Why bacula does not mark job as failed after "Write error" on tape drive?

2013-12-06 05:17:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Why bacula does not mark job as failed after "Write error" on tape drive?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Andrey Lyarskiy <alyarskiy AT stacksoft DOT ru>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:14:25 +0100
Hello,

The Bacula behavior is indeed correct (as programmed).  This is an error,
but it is not a fatal error.  Note that the error message is in the
conditional
tense (maybe not obvious for non-mother tongue speakers), which means
that the tape may not be readable, but that the only way to know for
sure is to read the tape.

This can happen if the end of the tape has been reached and the drive
does not permit writing the final EOF.  As mentioned above, the
only way to know for sure is to try to read the last files written to
the tape.

Given the uncertainty, it is not really justified to mark everything as
failed, because it is extremely unlikely that the whole tape is bad or
unreadable. You may correctly have a different opinion, but in that case
you will either need to change the source code or after the fact, mark
the tape as being unusable using bconsole.

Best regards,
Kern