Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2012 with built-in deduplication

2013-08-17 05:52:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2012 with built-in deduplication
From: "Bojan Zdrnja (SANS ISC)" <bojan.isc AT gmail DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:48:39 +0200
Hi Kern,

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:
Hello Bojan,

I've just taken a look at the Windows dedup API, and it is clear that a
non-Microsoft aware backup program is not going to work.  As with
everything else that Microsoft does, this API is at least 10 times as
complicated as I could ever imagine.  Unfortunately, given the complexity
Bacula is unlikely to get code to implement handling deduplication
volumes for some time :-(   One needs an army of programmers to do
this sort of implementation ...

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

As I said, it's all working for me now OK after I deduplicated one server, the backups are flowing nicely.
I'll keep an eye on the development for this; it might be good to post a note somewhere so other potential users with Windows 2012 are aware of this.

Cheers,

Bojan