Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Windows Server 2012 with built-in deduplication

2013-08-05 04:25:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2012 with built-in deduplication
From: "Bojan Zdrnja (SANS ISC)" <bojan.isc AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:20:35 +0200
Hi,

I just installed Bacula server on a Linux box and I'm testing various clients.

I have a Windows Server 2012 machine which has deduplication enabled (https://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/05/21/introduction-to-data-deduplication-in-windows-server-2012.aspx?Redirected=true). This is a new feature in Windows Server 2012 which does chunk based deduplication.
It saves quite a bit of disk space.

I installed the latest free Bacula client for Windows (5.2.10, 64-bit).

The problem is that the backups are incomplete. The client goes over all files, but most of files are 0 bytes on the server. When trying to restore them, I get a 0 byte file as well.
This can be seen from the backup's report as well - it says 1 GB total while the total amount of files is about 50 GB.

Does anyone know if the latest version of the client (6.0.6) works OK with Windows Server 2012 that has deduplication turned on? I don't mind buying it, of course, but would like to know that it works ok :)
Or if there is a setting that might help with the free version. When I disable VSS I get the same results as when it is enabled.

Thanks,

Bojan