Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] TSM5.5 to Bacula migration.

2013-08-01 23:32:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] TSM5.5 to Bacula migration.
From: Steven Haigh <netwiz AT crc.id DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:32:45 +1000
Hi all,

I'm looking at migrating my existing TSM5.5 backup solution to Bacula.
I'm hoping some people could point me in the right direction.

I currently have TSM set up with a 40Gb disk volume on the local server,
which is then migrated to a group of eSATA drives. On the eSATA drives I
have volumes (usually 300-400Gb in size) that I VARY ONLINE via a udev
script when I plug the drive in.

The idea is that the 40Gb on the local disk acts as a buffer which is
once a week migrated to the volumes on the eSATA drives:

ie:
tsm: SERVER1>q vol
Session established with server SERVER1: Linux/x86_64
   Server Version 5, Release 5, Level 7.0
   Server date/time: 08/02/13   12:31:09  Last access: 08/02/13   12:01:01

Volume Name                  Storage         Device         Estimated
     Pct      Volume
                              Pool Name       Class Name      Capacity
     Util      Status
------------------------     -----------     ----------     ---------
   -----     --------
/tsm-usb/5VP7VQZH-1.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/5VP7VQZH-2.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/5VP7VQZH-4.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/5VP8PAGK-1.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/5VP8PAGK-2.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/5VP8PAGK-3.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/6VP0MZGY-1.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/6VP0MZGY-2.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-usb/6VP0MZGY-3.dsm      USBDRIVES       DISK               0.0 M
     0.0     Off-Line
/tsm-vols/disk01.dsm         DISKBACK        DISK              20.5 G
    40.6     On-Line
/tsm-vols/disk02.dsm         DISKBACK        DISK              20.5 G
    87.4     On-Line

I'm trying to figure out how to replicate this in Bacula - however I
haven't had much success at this stage. I did find some documents that
are nearly 4 years old in relation to using removable media - but a lot
changes in 4 years!

Does anyone do something like this already? How can I handle the eSATA
drives? Is there a better way?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz AT crc.id DOT au