Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TSM5.5 to Bacula migration.

2013-08-14 09:25:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TSM5.5 to Bacula migration.
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: Steven Haigh <netwiz AT crc.id DOT au>, Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:17:59 -0400
On 08/13/13 11:10, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 03/08/13 23:50, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>> On 08/01/13 22:33, Steven Haigh wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at migrating my existing TSM5.5 backup solution to Bacula.
>>> I'm hoping some people could point me in the right direction.
>>>
>>> I currently have TSM set up with a 40Gb disk volume on the local server,
>>> which is then migrated to a group of eSATA drives. On the eSATA drives I
>>> have volumes (usually 300-400Gb in size) that I VARY ONLINE via a udev
>>> script when I plug the drive in.
>>>
>>> The idea is that the 40Gb on the local disk acts as a buffer which is
>>> once a week migrated to the volumes on the eSATA drives:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to figure out how to replicate this in Bacula - however I
>>> haven't had much success at this stage. I did find some documents that
>>> are nearly 4 years old in relation to using removable media - but a lot
>>> changes in 4 years!
>>>
>>> Does anyone do something like this already? How can I handle the eSATA
>>> drives? Is there a better way?
>>

>> Hi Steven... I believe that you can accomplish what you are looking for using
>> Bacula's "Copy Jobs", Josh Fisher's excellent "vchanger" add-on, and a little
>> hard work. :)
>>

>> Obviously it is more complicated than the four or five steps listed below,
>> but
>> here is the basic concept and process:
>>
>> You can take the 40GB local storage and create several small(ish) (5GB?)
>> Bacula "file volumes." (40GB seems VERY small to me)
>
> Is there a benefit of these being so small? In TSM I use 2 x 20Gb
> volumes on the system disk and 200Gb volumes on the eSATA drives.

Ahhhh It has taken me almost a full 24 hours to realize you were talking about
disk volumes (e.g.: partitions) and I am talking about Bacula volumes (files
on a partition).

For D2D backups, Bacula uses file volumes, and treats them as if they were
tapes.

I generally have file volumes limited to 10GB for ease of moving around if I
need to. I said 2GB in your case, because of the very small 40GB "partition"

> I'm sure about the 40Gb local stgpool. Not a great deal changes - its
> mostly adding to existing data in 2-4Gb chunks - around 4-5 per week. As
> such, a 40Gb 'spool' if you like is fine. It gets migrated on an 'as
> required' basis anyhow.

So my recommendation of 2GB bacula file volumes would be reasonable in your
case. :)

>> Create your daily backup job to write to the file volumes in the DailyLocal
>> pool on the local storage
>
> Hmmm - are these volumes physical files (like a TSM volume)?

Yes! See my revelation above. :)

> or more like a filesystem directory?

No. :)

> I'm not finding much in the way of
> documentation for understanding this... The 'administrators guide' I've
> found is more blank pages / chapters than content... Is there somewhere
> else I should be looking?
>
>> Configure Bacula for off-site backups with auto-mounting, removable backups
>> and full volume encryption: http://www.revpol.com/node/140
>
> I did see this - but it seems to be a lot of patched together scripts to
> get basic support for external media that isn't a tape library.

Well, it is not patched-together scripts, but rather a combination of
configuring several Linux components (udev, autofs), plus encrypting drives
(this step can be skipped), basic Bacula configurations, and Josh's excellent
vchanger program.

>> Create a Copy job that will run once/week and copy the week's jobs to the
>> removable drives (see section 24.1 of Bacula's "main.pdf" file)
>
> How does this go with incremental backups? I can probably grow the local
> disk storage pool a little to help out here -

Take a look at the copy job section of the manual. Each job is copied as a
separate copy job. A full backup will be copied to other media, an incremental
will be fully copied to the other media, etc.

You can tell bacula to copy all uncopied jobs, or specifically by SQL
statement (e.g.:copy all uncopied jobs in the last 24 hours) etc.

> but what would happen if a  removable drive wasn't inserted?

Bacula will ask for new media to be created or for appendable media to be
inserted.

> What about running the migrations on an adhoc basis?

Jobs can be manually run from the bconsole command line if that is what you're
asking. Yes.

>> Those are the steps. If you run into any specific problems along the way, you
>> can just ask here, or join some of us in the #bacula channel on freenode.net
>
> In a stroke of luck, I tried this and got pointed to the mailing list ;)

lol  I have been VERY busy lately, but I am always idling in there and try to
help when I can.  (wonders to self... Did I send him from #bacula to the
mailing list?) lol

Was in a rush while writing this, hope I made sense. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC