Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Library and Cleaning Requests?

2013-01-17 03:19:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Library and Cleaning Requests?
From: Jummo <jummo4 AT yahoo DOT de>
To: "f.staedler AT dafuer DOT de" <f.staedler AT dafuer DOT de>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:16:36 +0100 (CET)
Hi Frank,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, f.staedler AT dafuer DOT de wrote:
> just another question I stumbled upon. While doing more testing with a
> tape library and my rather large backup sets I came across a new
> question. A single full backup of one machine is about 30 TB and while a
> full backup is running the libraray requests drive cleaning (I called
> support and they told me the tape drive will request cleaning on a
> regular basis of TBs written to the tape along with start/stop cycles).

Maybe your tape library has a option to load the cleaning tape automatically.
My tape library has such a feature and I configured Bacula not loading tapes
with the CLN prefix, as Adrian already mentioned.

My experience so far: If a cleaning requests occurs during a running job, the
tape library unloads the current tape, loads the cleaning tape and after
cleaning loads the previous tape. The Bacula job is on hold and wait for the
Storage Device to get ready again.

Best Regards,
Patrick