Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] disaster recovery of the actual bacula server

2012-11-29 12:48:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] disaster recovery of the actual bacula server
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:43:55 +0100
Le 29/11/2012 17:32, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de a écrit :
> Zitat von Jonathan Horne <jhorne AT skopos DOT us>:
>
>> I am getting ready to deploy my first bacula server to our
>> production environment.  I would like to practice 2 scenarios of
>> recovery.  First, I will recover the configuration files and  mysql
>> database (from dump files), and hopefully continue on.  The second,
>> I will recover only the configuration files.  Both scenarios, will
>> tear down the server and rebuild new OS and reattach the LUN where
>> the volume pools are stored.
>>
>> The first seems pretty straight forward, especially is the mysqldump
>> is current after the most recent backups that ran.  The 2nd, poses
>> the question of how to import existing volume pool data into a new
>> bacula director installation?
> You need the "bscan" utility to rebuild the catalog from your backup volumes:
>
> http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/utility/utility/Volume_Utility_Tools.html#SECTION00270000000000000000
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

As the Bacula catalog is a mainstream database, you can secure it using
different ways:
     - replication (on another site would be the best)
     - full backup + binlog backup on another site

With these two strategies, you wil be able to survive anything.

The cost to secure the catalog is so low everyone should do it ;)

HTH.
Jerome Blion.