Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow disks RAID10 vs Fast disks RAID5

2012-11-26 08:44:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow disks RAID10 vs Fast disks RAID5
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:41:41 -0500
On 11/22/2012 7:09 PM, James Harper wrote:
>> And for the file volumes either:
>>
>> 12 x 600GB 15K SAS (RAID 5 or 6?) - faster disks (or is it in a raid 5?) and
>> less
>> space (approx 6TB)
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 12 x 2TB 7.2K SAS/SATA (RAID 10) - slower disks but more space (approx
>> 11.18 TB)
>>
> If you are backing up over 1Gbit/s ethernet then you require a storage that
> can write at a maximum of 100mbytes/s and either configuration should be more
> than capable of handling way more than that, assuming that it never gets
> ridiculously fragmented. If you use RAID5 then I recommend a hardware RAID
> controller with battery backed write cache, although it's less of a
> requirement for "streaming" storage than random access database storage where
> small (< stripe size) writes are frequent.
>
> I would start by looking at how fast Bacula can push things on to disk. I
> wonder if there is a way of backing up to /dev/null so this can be measured?
> Once you have that figure then you can think about what sort of disk
> throughput you need.
>
> James

The throughput is also highly dependent on the performance of the
clients. Even the fastest of servers will still be limited by the
clients themselves for streaming to file storage. What has made a
substantial difference for me is reducing the time the server spends
writing spooled attributes to the database. The most noticeable
improvements are those that increase database performance. SATA drives
are sufficient for streaming file storage, so I suggest saving cost on
the file storage and using the savings to purchase SSDs to put the
database on.