Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow disks RAID10 vs Fast disks RAID5

2012-11-22 20:53:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow disks RAID10 vs Fast disks RAID5
From: Silas Moeckel <silas AT dsminc-corp DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:46:53 -0500
On 11/22/2012 6:05 PM, John Kenyon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Wondering what peoples thoughts/experiences are with the following (or
> similar) single bacula server in regards to disk configuration:
>
> 2 x 300GB 15K SAS (RAID 1) - This will have OS (centos 64 bit) and Bacula
> MySQL catalog
>
> And for the file volumes either:
>
> 12 x 600GB 15K SAS (RAID 5 or 6?) - faster disks (or is it in a raid 5?) and
> less space (approx 6TB)
>
> OR
>
> 12 x 2TB 7.2K SAS/SATA (RAID 10) - slower disks but more space (approx 11.18
> TB)
>

> Cheers, John

I would be far more worried about space than throughput.  Until you have
a LOT of clients pushing fulls at the same time it's mostly streaming
writes rather than random IO. In which case the higher density sata can
outperform the 15k sas as they are more than 2x the density (why 2TB?
3TB around here is nearly the same price).  Throw some SSD's in for disk
spooling if your starting to slow down with to much random IO.  To give
you an idea we get 150-180MBs per drive in our current gen storage heads
even with infiniband were hard pressed to push the storage speeds
outside of copy/migration jobs internal to the storage head.

Silas