Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow disks RAID10 vs Fast disks RAID5

2012-11-22 19:33:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow disks RAID10 vs Fast disks RAID5
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: John Kenyon <JKenyon AT bgwgroup.com DOT au>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 00:09:48 +0000

> And for the file volumes either:
>
> 12 x 600GB 15K SAS (RAID 5 or 6?) - faster disks (or is it in a raid 5?) and
> less
> space (approx 6TB)
>
> OR
>
> 12 x 2TB 7.2K SAS/SATA (RAID 10) - slower disks but more space (approx
> 11.18 TB)

If you are backing up over 1Gbit/s ethernet then you require a storage that can
write at a maximum of 100mbytes/s and either configuration should be more than
capable of handling way more than that, assuming that it never gets
ridiculously fragmented. If you use RAID5 then I recommend a hardware RAID
controller with battery backed write cache, although it's less of a requirement
for "streaming" storage than random access database storage where small (<
stripe size) writes are frequent.

I would start by looking at how fast Bacula can push things on to disk. I
wonder if there is a way of backing up to /dev/null so this can be measured?
Once you have that figure then you can think about what sort of disk throughput
you need.

James