Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Priority Problem / Question

2012-11-07 06:59:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Priority Problem / Question
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 12:53:43 +0100
On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 04:15:18PM +0100, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote:

> from my knowledge the jobs are created but take on hold as long as
> other jobs with different priority are running. So it looks like the
> catalog connections are established as part of the job creation. That
> said you should not need to stop the catalog database for the dump, in
> fact i wonder that it works at all to backup the catalog this way. If
> you are in doubt about taking online dumps you can also use PostgreSQL
> which might be a good choice at that scale anyway ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

Hello Andreas,

thanks much for your reply. We've found that bacula will reconnect to
the DB fine if you restart it from within a runbefore script, and
currently this seems the only option to get catalog backup speed back
to reasonable levels (dumping the db through a gzip --fast would take
five hours or so while an rsync takes only roughly 30 minutes,
including lzop compression of the resulting file).

I don't want to start another holy DB war, but I was wondering how
others (using mysql) handle catalog backups with a catalog size
exceeding 170GB.

All the best,

Uwe