Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Managing disk space for Bacula Backups

2012-11-05 08:24:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Managing disk space for Bacula Backups
From: "Gumprich, Sebastian" <Sebastian.Gumprich AT t-systems DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:45:25 +0100
Hi,

>You should not delete files without telling Bacula. You should use the

>console the manually mark Volumes as "Recycle" or purge them. To
>"automatically" prevent such situations you can use the recycle oldest

>volume policy but be aware of the donwsides listed in the manual.

Since I use a new volume for every backup and only need the backups for
the last 14 days, isn't it possible to delete the volumes older than 14
days from the database (with delete volume) and then delete these
volumes from the NFS?
I could do this easily with a batch-script.
I see no downsides with this, except that I don't have backups that are
older than 14 days, but that's not needed.

The problem with recycling oldest volumes is, when Bacula uses the
oldest volumes, it would use 5 incremental, small volumes, when the
large full-backup-volumes are still there, taking up disk space.
Any workaround to this, except for manually searching for old volumes
and deleting them?

Thanks!
Sebastian