Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Managing disk space for Bacula Backups

2012-11-02 10:23:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Managing disk space for Bacula Backups
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:20:01 -0400
On 11/02/12 09:47, Gumprich, Sebastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my company I’ve set up a bacula-server which backups several clients
> to an NFS.
> The NFS is mounted on the Bacula-server and has 500GBs space.
>
> I have to back up about 50 clients.
> I do full backups on Saturdays and incremental backups every other day.
> I set the file and job retention to 14 days for every client, AutoPrune
> is on.
> Every client writes into its own pool on the NFS. Every pool can contain
> a maximum of 20 volumes and I use every volume only once.
> The also get recycled and autopruned.
> The volume retention period is set to 14 days.
> So all retention periods are 14 days.
>
> With this configuration, the 500GB space are usually sufficient to store
> 3 full backups and several incremental backups of all the hosts.

"Usually" is not a comforting word to use when speaking of whether your
backup system works.

> Now my problem is the following:
>
> If I make full backups from all the clients, on my own outside of the
> schedule, the 500GBs are full, but Bacula doesn’t recycle the older
> volumes, because the retention period and max. volumes limit is not reached.
>
> So what are my options?
>
> -       Increase the storage (possible, but only a workaround?)
>
> -       Manually delete the files that are older than 14 days on the NFS
> (what I’m currently doing)

Well, first of all, if 500GB is only "usually" sufficient to hold your
backups even when you're NOT running extra jobs out-of-cycle, I'd say
you should definitely be thinking about increasing your storage.
Especially if this is for your company and you only "usually" have space
for only 14 days' backups.  It sounds as though you aren't really that
serious about actually having backups of your data.

Secondly, NFS is far from the ideal way to do this.  You'll get much
better performance out of a dedicated storage server with its own
storage daemon than you will out of what I suspect is an off-the-shelf
home NFS appliance.

And third, do you have a plan if your NFS box fails....?

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.