Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Adding New Storage Device (HDD) to Bacula Server

2012-05-16 04:53:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Adding New Storage Device (HDD) to Bacula Server
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:52:05 +0200
Op 20120515 om 23:35 schreef Modulok:
> Op 20120515 om 21:01 schreef Humnphrey Bryant:
> >
> > Bacula now has two (2) Storage Devices to backup to.
> >
> > The 1st 1.5TB has just started been used and has only used about 20% of the
> > total hard Drive Capacity, the volumes that I created were set to be
> > expired
> > , recycled and auto prunes so that the drives don't run out of space when
> > the file server size starts to increase.
> >
> > 1.  How will Bacula Treat/Handle 2nd New Drive that I've just added?
> > 2.  Will the new drive only be used when the 1st drive has reached its
> > full capacity?
> > 3.  Can I Schedule backups' to the New 1TB drive ONLY?
> > 4.  When adding new drives for backups what are the best practices when
> > it comes on to Bacula
>
> I've never used CentOS, but on every other linux/BSD systems I've never deal
> directly with drives. The notion of having the userland programs deal directly
> with hard drives is almost perverse, lol.
>
> Here's what I do, and I know this doesn't directly address your question, but
> it's food for thought if nothing else:
>
> I put a file system on the hard drive and mount them to a location, say
> '/home/bacula/volumes' and have bacula backup to file based volumes just like
> your original disk.

Here has bacula-sd.conf these lines

  Device {
    Name = FileStorage
    Media Type = File
    Archive Device = /srv/bacula/pool00

In the directory  /srv/bacula/pool00 are symbolic links like

  lrwxrwxrwx 1  v467 -> ../d04/v467
  lrwxrwxrwx 1  v468 -> ../d04/v468

  lrwxrwxrwx 1  v325 -> ../d06/v325
  lrwxrwxrwx 1  v326 -> ../d06/v326

Under /srv/bacula are directories like d04, d05, d06
those are used as mountpoints for the disks.  Partial output of `mount`

  /dev/sdb1 on /srv/bacula/d04 type ext3 (rw)
  /dev/sdc1 on /srv/bacula/d05 type ext3 (rw)
  /dev/sdd1 on /srv/bacula/d06 type ext3 (rw)

In directory /srv/bacula/d06, being disk /dev/sdd1,
are the actual bacula volumes.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--