Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] One Volume per Backup Job

2012-05-10 03:52:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] One Volume per Backup Job
From: Alex Lucas <alexander.lucas AT tlscontact DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:50:15 +0800
Dears,

I was trying to get one volume per job with this pool configuration:

Pool {
  Name = File
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = no                   # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 90 days     # how long to keep volumes
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 4G      # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1        # One job per volume
  LabelFormat =
"${Client}_${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}_${Hour:p/2/0/r}h${Minute:p/2/0/r}m_${Level:o0-4:l}"
  Next Pool = VirtualFull
}

It works well for jobs that complete successfully - volumes get created
properly and get marked as "Used" open backup completion. However there
are 2 problems when jobs fail:

Example: I run job for JKT-nvr but the fd on it is not running - I get
job timeout but the following entry in 'list volumes':
| 1050    | JKT-nvr-fd_2012-05-10_15h35m_full     | Append    | 1
| 0          | 0        | 7776000      | 0       | 0    | 0         |
File      | 0                   |

Next time I run a job (does not matter with which client) director will
try to use the volume above instead of creating a brand new one. Even if
I re-run the previous job for the same client I would like it to create
a new volume (since date/time are also in the LabelFormat).

How to archive one of the following for failed backup jobs:
a) mark auto-created volume as "Used", OR
b) delete the auto-created volume

Best regards,
Alex