Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Virtual Backups and Tape Storage Woes

2012-05-07 16:33:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups and Tape Storage Woes
From: Jan Behrend <jbehrend AT mpifr-bonn.mpg DOT de>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 22:12:51 +0200
Hello list,

I have two tape libraries and I am doing full and differential backups on the "primary" one of them. Incrementals go to a disk storage. Every night when all backups are done I am copying all "not copied volumes" from the primary tape library to the secondary. That's all working perfectly.

Every 8 weeks I am scheduling virtual full backups, which means take the last full, the last differential off of the primary library and all of the incrementals since the last differential and put them into another dedicated disk storage as a new full backup where I can move them to the primary library again afterwards. No problem here, either.

When I, for some reason, miss a full backup in the primary library, bacula marks the copy of the corresponing job in the secondary library as the active one. So far so good, but when I do a virtual full backup now, bacula takes the full (copy) from the secondary library and mounts the corresponding volume(s) correctly, but after that it does not go back to the primary library but requests manual mounting of the volume with the differential from the primary library on a drive in the secondary which of course is not possible. Both libraries have the same media type "LTO5" configured, whcih is actually true. I hope this is not the problem.

Anyway, I hope I made myself clear enough to follow the problem I have.
Any suggestions, thoughts?  Need more information?

Cheers Jan

--
MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT fuer Radioastronomie
Jan Behrend - Rechenzentrum