Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Recycling tape erase the label !

2011-12-06 05:36:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] Recycling tape erase the label !
From: David Vandergucht <dav.vdg AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 11:35:16 +0100
Hi there.

I have a very cool Bacula installation on gentoo, backuping on a dell
PV 124T with LTO5 tape.
Everything works ok... almost.

I have no problem backuping and restoring over several volume.

However i get trouble when come the time to recycle tape. Bacula try
to recycle tape, and that's ok with me. But when it tries, i don't
know what's happening but it seems it detroys the tape header (with
the volume name on it).

For instance, a tape name is flagged to be recycled. so far i can read
the tape header using btape /dev/nst0 and:

-- flag as recycle, but not tried yet --
*readlabel
btape: btape.c:528 Volume label read correctly.

Volume Label:
Id                : Bacula 1.0 immortal
VerNo             : 11
VolName           : 000017L5
PrevVolName       :
VolFile           : 0
LabelType         : VOL_LABEL
LabelSize         : 164
PoolName          : AllIncrementals
MediaType         : LTO-5
PoolType          : Backup
HostName          : gozer
Date label written: 21-Mar-2011 01:29

This tape is FLAGGED, but has not been tried to be reused yet.

Now here is a tape that has been tried to be reuse:

-- flag as recycle and tried to be --
*readlabel
06-Dec 12:07 btape JobId 0: Error: block.c:1002 Read error on fd=3 at
file:blk 0:0 on device "Batman" (/dev/nst0). ERR=Input/output error.
btape: btape.c:525 Volume has no label.

Volume Label:
Id                : **error**VerNo             : 0
VolName           :
PrevVolName       :
VolFile           : 0
LabelType         : Unknown 0
LabelSize         : 0
PoolName          :
MediaType         :
PoolType          :
HostName          :
Date label written: -4712-01-01 at 00:00
*

Clearly, it seems that my bacula is erasing the label on the tape at
some point, and then is unable to reuse it.

What's wrong with me ?
So far, the only thing i've been able to do was to destroy the volume
completly in the database and create a new one with the same label, as
bacula just don't agree with relabeling a tape with a name which is
already in the DB. This is not really what i think about Automatic
recycling.

Please help me !

--
David Vandergucht