Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can bacula backup from Windows and Linux?

2011-12-03 19:54:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can bacula backup from Windows and Linux?
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:53:18 +0400
On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 11:10:56AM -0800, jonathanb wrote:

> Bacula is one of the programs that I found on google when I was
> searching for a solution for my problem.  I have a small network with
> approximately 8 clients and 5 servers with Linux (Debian) and Windows
> (Vista and Win7) on them.
Bacula "file daemons" (FDs)--the programs that read data to be backed up
and send it to a Bacula storage server--are available for POSIX systems
and Windows.

> One of the five servers is going to be a Proxmox VE server where we
> are going to install a backup solution.  We want to backup all the
> client and servers remotely
I'm not quite sure what do you mean by "remotely" here.
If you mean that you want a backup server to pull the data from its
clients and manage its storage (as opposed to clients keeping it by
themselves) then Bacula does exactly this.

> with a not to difficult interface, because our intern is going to
> realize this idea.
> Is Bacula the answer to this?
While being mildly in fear of possibly provoking a debate, I'd not say
that Bacula's interface is "not too difficult".  While Bacula maintains
certain rather strong expectations about its workflow, it provides for
great flexibility about how it's organized by an administrator.
And it has several concepts of which you can hardly escape learning
about--no matter how simple your setup is expected to be, for instance
you have to understand pools, media and schedules.
All this comes at a price: I'd say it's futile to try to grok Bacula
without reading at least essential bits of its documentation up front.

Also your intern is expected to be familiar with the concept of textual
configuration files (I know some Windows-only persons are notoriously
bad at this sort of thing).

On the other hand I suspect any sufficiently complicated backup
solutuion will require a certain degree of understanding and learning to
work with.  Simly due to an inherent complexity of the task.