Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tuning lto-4

2011-12-01 11:29:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tuning lto-4
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: gary artim <gartim AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 16:27:33 +0000
gary artim wrote:
> You guys/gals are great, very responsive! I did try
> spooling/despooling and my run times shot up.

They will - you're copying everything twice (disk to disk to tape), but
this is the only way to achieve fast despooling speeds - if you don't do
this then your LTO drive will start to "shoe shine" and speeds drop off
rapidly when it happens.

The trick is to run multiple jobs at once - you have to spool to achieve
this anyway or extracting will be a nightmare.

Spooling is a net gain when you're running incrementals.

Spooling MUST happen on a fast dedicated drive. You're best off dropping
in a fast SSD such as a 64/128Gb OCZ vertex3 or similar to handle it.

> I was using a simple
> 7200 drive though, no ssd or raid...I assume the performance gain
> happens when your networks multi machines...wearing multiple hats so
> will report back on btape next week, unless I get some time. gary

Even on a single host, if the heads are thrashing then spooling will
save time overall. The big advantage is being able to run multiple jobs
so that several are spooling data at the same time one is despooling.