Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tuning lto-4

2011-12-01 02:49:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tuning lto-4
From: Andrea Conti <alyf AT alyf DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:48:07 +0100
On 30/11/11 19.43, gary artim wrote:
> Thanks much, I'll try today the block size change first. Then try the
> spooling. Dont have any unused disk, but may have to try on a shared
> drive.
> The "maximum file size" should be okay? g.

Choosing a max file size is mainly a tradeoff between write performance
(as the drive will stop and restart at the end of each file to write an
EOF mark) and restore performance (as the drive can only seek to a file
mark and then sequentially read through the file until the relevant data
bocks are found).

I usually set maximum file size so that there are 2-3 filemarks per tape
wrap (3GB for LTO3, 5GB for LTO4), but if you don't plan to do regular
restores, or if you always restore the whole contents of a volume, 12GB
is fine.

Anyway, with the figures you're citing your problem is *not* maximum
file size.

Try to assess tape performance alone with btape test (which has a
"speed" command); you can try different block sizes and configuration
and see which one gives the best results.

Doing so will give you a clear indication on whether your bottleneck is
in tape or disk throughput.

andrea