Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Client / laptop backups

2011-06-28 17:17:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Client / laptop backups
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:14:20 +0100
Hi,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> We do this in a somewhat manual way.  The client computer has a bconsole
> configured.  When the laptop owner wants a backup, they start bconsole,
> then type "run<ret>", "yes<ret>", "quit<yes">.  They then get a
> confirmation email when the backup completes.

I should probably spell out exactly what we do:

 - configure a console on the director specifically for that laptop
 - configure a corresponding bconsole on the laptop
 - create ACLs for that console to access only the job, pool, devices, etc.
   that relate to it
 - set the default backup to incremental for that job (assuming that's what
   you want) so that's what runs immediately
 - configure a monthly virtual full backup to consolidate the incrementals
   into a new full backup and allow you to rotate the volumes
 - configure a dedicated messages entry on the director for this job so
   that the user gets a copy of the backup confirmation

This has worked really well for us.  It would be nice of course if a backup
could magically start on plugin, but then if the user unplugs shortly
afterward, you get a broken backup so we kind of feel that the owner
deciding to run a backup is not a bad thing.

A nice GUI console client for Windows would perhaps be an improvement but
the console commands are so simple that it's easy enough to just write
these steps up.

Gavin