Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network speed between FD and SD

2011-06-24 19:41:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network speed between FD and SD
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 00:38:15 +0100
Hi,

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Craig Van Tassle wrote:

> I'm trying to increase the network speed between my FD and my SD.
>
> My Cacti graphs are showing that my network usage averages 60Mb/s and
> the connections between all the clients are on 1Gb links. I would think
> I would be able to pull more speed to my SD then just 60Mb/s.
>
> Is there anything I can do to try to speed up the network transfer
> between the FD and SD. I would like to be able to get to near Gigabit
> speeds to my SD. I'm also running a couple of jobs at once, I would
> have though that would have helped me spool the data faster.
>
> Also I'm running on a Dell sc1425 for my SD and my Clients are Dell
> r610's.

I guess you need to start off by working out where the bottleneck is so you
know what to optimise.

Possibilities include:

 - you're using compression or encryption and the client's CPU can't
   compress/encrypt any faster.  You could turn either off, but if you
   don't compress, you have more data to ship and more to store, so this
   may be a false economy.  If you need encryption, you need it.
 - the client disk access is slow (could be due to fragmentation, a busy
   disk or just a slow disk)
 - the storage medium is slow to write to (doing a local backup from the
   storage server to itself would rule this out quite quickly)
 - the network isn't as quick as you think (an iPerf test between client
   and server would confirm/disprove this)
 - these are incremental backups which generally tend to give a slower
   data rate

There are probably other possibilities, but these are off the top of my
head.

Gavin