Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How do counters work?

2011-06-20 13:45:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] How do counters work?
From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 AT frii DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:41:54 -0600
So I am generating backup volumes limited in size
to fit on a DVD.  Since I use automatic volume labeling
and some backups result in multiple volumes, I include
a counter in the label name.  I want its value to be
1 for the first volume of the job, 2 for the second,
etc.

First problem: counter does not get reset per job
but only when director is restarted.  (This strikes
me as particularly useless behavior... is not the
most frequent (only?) use of counters in a label?
Why would one want a value in a long-lived label
dependent on an arbitrary event like a service
restart?  Maybe I am missing something).

So I specify a catalog and save the counter in the
database.  I write a before job script to reset
the counter to its minimumvalue.

But although the script seems to be working, it has
no effect.  Even if I change the counter value in the
database by hand after the director has started but
before running the job, the job uses the old counter
value.  Is it possible that the director reads the
counter value at startup, maintains it internally,
and only writes back to the database when its
incremented?

Please tell me I'm wrong!