Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fileset: How exclude all except...

2011-06-20 13:17:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fileset: How exclude all except...
From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 AT frii DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:13:39 -0600
On 06/18/2011 01:37 PM, Andrea Conti wrote:
>> I want to exclude all dot files in home directories
>> ("/home/*/.*"), *except* the directories "/home/*/.backup/".
>>
>> Any hints on how to do this?
>
> If you want to exclude dot _files_ (i.e. you don't care about
> directories whose name starts with a dot other than .backup), and
> assuming you're backing up the whole /home directory, this would be enough:
>
> FileSet
> {
>    Include
>    {
>       {
>          exclude = yes
>          wildfile = "/home/*/.*"
>       }
>       File = /home
>    }
> }

But this will backup .thunderbird/ with its 800MB
mail cache, yes?  That's what I want to avoid (without
having to maintain a list of specific black-listed
files/directories.)

> If you also wish to exclude other dot-directories, I would try something
> like:
>
> FileSet
> {
>    Include
>    {
>       {
>          wilddir = "/home/*/.backup"
>       }
>       {
>          exclude = yes
>          wild = "/home/*/.*"
>       }
>       File = /home
>    }
> }

That's what I tried before (along with some
permutations -- I admit to still not understanding
well how Bacula interprets Filesets.)  The .backup
directory is included in the backed up files but its
contents are not.

> Regex directives are another option, but IMHO they are a bit overkill
> for this problem.

I thought so too which is why I asked here. :-)