Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Archive catalog, second catalog, find file from an old volume ?

2011-06-20 07:02:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] Archive catalog, second catalog, find file from an old volume ?
From: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:56:39 +0200
Hello,

I made this request in a topic related to "copy" but I am seeing it's
a little out-subject.
When you make a long term Archiving how do you keep an old file list
of job that are archived by a copy job ?

In my case I am copying monthly essentials jobs to an lto tape, for
many years maybe as long as the tape will be readable.
Sometimes I will have to recover some files from theses Archives.

How can I find a file on theses archives without keeping records in
the normal catalog ?
For the moment I am using a very long retention times for the archive
volumes but after few years I think it will take a very large space
and query in the database will go more and more slowly.

I was thinking to make a different catalog named Archive and then to
copy the file records of my copied jobs into this catalog.
The only problem is that it will be really complicated to import them
into bacula when I will need to find one file.

Another solution is to rewrite catalog with the tape utility. I think
this will only find the job and not the file list.

The last solution would be to keep a catalog backup somewhere. Restore
the catalog in a temporary catalog, restart director with this catalog
and find the file and restore the file.

Having a second catalog with only the old files will avoid theses
recods to make bacula going slowly with the regular catalog.

Does anyone got a tip about that ?

Thanks

Hugo