Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Database performance issues

2011-06-08 12:20:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Database performance issues
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:16:49 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> The very first thing I would do would be upgrade to MySQL 5.5.[current]
> (5.5.13, right now) if you're not already using 5.5, making sure it's
> properly configured (hint:  look at the new configuration directive
> innodb_buffer_pool_instances), then throw as much RAM as possible at the
> InnoDB buffer pool and convert all of the tables to InnoDB.  Then
> download MySQltuner (http://mysqltuner.com/mysqltuner.pl) and look at
> its recommendations for some basic tuning.
>
> MyISAM, frankly, *SHOULD* be deprecated at this point.  There is still a
> lot of FUD about InnoDB performance out there, most of it from people
> who don't actually understand the performance implications of the
> differences between MyISAM and InnoDB, but the truth is there is
> virtually no use case on a conventional MySQL server[1] for which "What
> primary storage engine should I be using?" has any answer other than
> "InnoDB".  It's probably not too inaccurate to say that unless you
> *NEED* either merge tables or full-text indices, you should be using InnoDB.

For simplicity of operation and patching, we're using the Ubuntu archive
packages which are MySQL 5.1.41.  I realise that's quite old now.  There
are one or two restores in particular which take a long time (like 30
minutes) to build the restore tree.  I'm guessing the reason is these
tables:

-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 7.4G 2011-06-08 13:24 File.MYD
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 5.1G 2011-06-08 13:24 File.MYI
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 233M 2011-06-08 13:24 Filename.MYI
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 161M 2011-06-08 13:24 Filename.MYD
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 153M 2011-06-08 13:24 Path.MYI
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql  99M 2011-06-08 13:24 Path.MYD

Addressing this with a move to PostgreSQL has been on my list but I might
try a move to InnoDB first as it's likely much simpler.

Assuming that version of MySQL, do you know if the case for InnoDB vs
MyISAM is still as cut and dry?  Would we likely see substantial
performance improvements?

Thanks for any help,

Gavin