Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Database performance issues

2011-06-08 11:48:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Database performance issues
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:44:26 +0200
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:50:58 -0400, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT
net>
wrote:
> The very first thing I would do would be upgrade to MySQL 5.5.[current]
> (5.5.13, right now) if you're not already using 5.5, making sure it's
> properly configured (hint:  look at the new configuration directive
> innodb_buffer_pool_instances), then throw as much RAM as possible at the
> InnoDB buffer pool and convert all of the tables to InnoDB.  Then
> download MySQltuner (http://mysqltuner.com/mysqltuner.pl) and look at
> its recommendations for some basic tuning.

InnoDB is not so easy to setup. The biggest buffer is not always the best
one.

innodb_buffer_size should be bigger than innodb data pieces.
You should seize logfiles according to the database activity.
You should set innodb_file_per_table... and so on...

When we are speaking about Mysql performance, you could have a look on
InnoDB plugin.
Barracuda file format is much faster than the previous one, the innodb
plugin is known to improve performance.

> MyISAM, frankly, *SHOULD* be deprecated at this point.  There is still a
> lot of FUD about InnoDB performance out there, most of it from people
> who don't actually understand the performance implications of the
> differences between MyISAM and InnoDB, but the truth is there is
> virtually no use case on a conventional MySQL server[1] for which "What
> primary storage engine should I be using?" has any answer other than
> "InnoDB".  It's probably not too inaccurate to say that unless you
> *NEED* either merge tables or full-text indices, you should be using
> InnoDB.

SELECT are slower on a InnoDB table. (but is much more reliable)
When the database has a really slow update frequency, MyISAM can be
interesting.

For bacula purposes, I would suggest to use mysqltuner.pl and
tuning-primer.sh to detect some incorrect values.
They can improve performance a lot.

HTH.
Jérôme Blion.