Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mistaken append of job to media

2011-06-07 12:34:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mistaken append of job to media
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:32:22 -0400
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory AT campbell-lange DOT net> wrote:
> On 07/06/11, Phil Stracchino (alaric AT metrocast DOT net) wrote:
>> On 06/07/11 09:59, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
>> > I've written job 329 after job 315 on the same tape (CLW112L4). See below
>> >
>> > Two questions:
>> >
>> >     * can I wipe the data pertaining to job 329 off tape CLW112L4 ?
>> >       (I assume by using mt commands -- how can I find the block number
>> >        to start writing zeros from?)
>>
>> Not safely, no.  But you could migrate the second job to a different
>> volume, or delete the job and re-run it to a different volume.
>
> Does deleting the job remove the data (in this case the data for job
> 329) off the tape? That is what I need to do.

No, it does not delete anything off of the tape. This is not a thing
that can be done reliably with tape drives especially with drives
variable compression however even without compression on tape drives
do not always use the exact same amount of tape for the exact same
amount of bytes.

John