Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Verify Catalog

2011-05-31 17:37:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Verify Catalog
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 17:34:41 -0400
> Hi John,
>
> Well, I've tested like the way you said me and it worked.
> I used the Level DiskToCatalog cause is a Backup in Disk,

That level compares what is on your source filesystem currently with
what the MD5/SHA1 was recorded in your catalog. You wanted
"VolumeToCatalog" to compare what is in your bacula disk volumes
versus the catalog.

> so, I've
> noticed that it always do the "verify" with the last job written on
> the Catalog. Thus, I couldn't check an older backup.
>
> Another thing...in this test I got two .txt files with nothing write
> in them, i.e, they were 0 KB. Bacula considered them, either with MD5
> or SHA1, like inconsistent files with those in the Catalog. When I
> wrote something in them and redid the test, so, the verification was
> OK.
>
> Thank you John, for your explanation.
>
> Just one more question for now....it seems such obvious, but, the
> Level VolumeToCatalog would be when I use Tapes? Is that right?

No that is for tape, disk, dvd or whatever other storage you use in
bacula. Remember everything in bacula is stored in a volume. See my
previous answer.

John