Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Verify Catalog

2011-05-31 17:31:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Verify Catalog
From: Rickifer Barros <rickiferbarros AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 18:28:38 -0300

Hi John,

Well, I've tested like the way you said me and it worked.
I used the Level DiskToCatalog cause is a Backup in Disk, so, I've noticed that it always do the "verify" with the last job written on the Catalog. Thus, I couldn't check an older backup.

Another thing...in this test I got two .txt files with nothing write in them, i.e, they were 0 KB. Bacula considered them, either with MD5 or SHA1, like inconsistent files with those in the Catalog. When I wrote something in them and redid the test, so, the verification was OK.

Thank you John, for your explanation.

Just one more question for now....it seems such obvious, but, the Level VolumeToCatalog would be when I use Tapes? Is that right?

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
2011/5/31 Rickifer Barros <rickiferbarros AT gmail DOT com>:
> Hello Bacula Users,
>
> I'm trying to test the Verify Job but, how I could understand, I have to
> create another catalog just for verifications, but I'm not getting do this.
> I have installed Bacula on Debian through the aptitude with PostGre. Now I
> dont know how create this catalog. I've tried create a db called "verify"
> and configured the Director:
>
> Catalog {
>   Name = Verification
>   dbname = verify; DB Address = ""; dbuser = "bacula"; dbpassword = "###"
> }

No you do not want a separate catalog for verify. The example in the
manual is for using Bacula to track changes in files that are not part
of your backups.

> ...so, I cannot even connect at the Director via console.
>
> What I need to do to use this Verify Job.

Just the job definition. And the job levels "VolumeToCatalog" or "DiskToCatalog"

Be careful however. The last time I checked this Verify did not work
correctly. And what I mean about that is I had more than 1 job for a
client and in the verify command I specified the fileset for the first
job ran and bacula tried to verify the fileset for the second job
instead. It seems like it ignores the fileset in the verify Job and
uses whatever Job was last run on the client instead of what I told it
to do.

John