Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network timeouts while running enormous backup

2011-05-31 15:42:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network timeouts while running enormous backup
From: S H <shdashbeta AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:39:25 -0400
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 11:33 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
>> I added a network interface to the backup server on the same segment
>> as the client and the timeout disappeared, so it seems my firewall was
>> expiring a TCP session somewhere along the line. Unsure whether it's a
>> configuration problem on the Bacula or firewall side -- I expected the
>> heartbeat to prevent this.
>>
>> Anyhow, I'm not sure Bacula is the right solution for this type of
>> backup: the attribute despool has been running for nearly three days
>> straight now.
>
> That is not normal. I have seen 30 minutes for 5 or so TB backup with
> a few million files but never days. Do you have your database on a
> server with at least 8GB of ram? Is your database on a raid 10 or SSD?

I think you're right that database performance is the culprit here --
the database is postgresql running on the backup server. It's a
RAID-10 volume on six SATA 7200RPM drives. The database itself lives
on a different OS partition on the same volume as the spools.

2GB RAM and a dual-core Xeon 5110 aren't helping. An untuned
postgresql has some potential for improvement without hardware
changes, at least.

>> Does anybody else have experience backing up tons of
>> files?
>
> There are users that backup 30 TB containing millions of files in one
> job on this list.

So 50M files is not out of the ordinary?

Thanks. Sorry for the newbie oversight.

-SH