Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] scripts for holding configuration in database

2011-05-29 07:29:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] scripts for holding configuration in database
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 13:25:41 +0200
Hello,

2011/5/29 Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
> All the comments and questions are very welcome :)

I don't want to stop you, but firstly this kind of tools already exist see
http://www.bacula-konferenz.de/historie/2010/dassmodus-bacula-konfiguration-gui/at_download/file

Well, dassmodus doesn't have a database backend for storage of config options. It is a pure text files configurator and require a supported graphics envinroment.

It's only available on the enterprise edition, but yeap it's enterprise ready!

It lacks some entrprise functionality but yes it is an enterprise ready... :)

The second thing where I saw a trouble with your draft is the use of Mysql. Bacula is in a way db agnostic, so you have to
support as a minimal : postgresql, mysql, sqlite (will be drop), libdbi, and don't forget the enterprise like Oracle, sysbase,
DB2 etc.

The very first version of Bacula did support only one database backend. IMVHO it is not a problem at current stage of the database config project.
I think it will be very desirable to use LDAP as a bacula config backend.

Without that, I don't expect a large adoption.

I think that a main problem will be a use of Ruby as a programin language. Current web based bacula console (i.e. bweb and webacula) use diffrent programing languages. So in the future it will be very difficult to integrate a bacula database config scripts into one of the indicated web consoles. This integration will be a natural development direction.

For example I can tell you that I don't love your configuration line. I already have all my information in the MyCatalog dir
conf. Why would I add yet another configuration.

I'm a very interested in this project. But I don't know Ruby.

best regards

--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net