Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] scripts for holding configuration in database

2011-05-31 02:18:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] scripts for holding configuration in database
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:14:52 +0300
On Monday 30 May 2011 22:32:14 Yuri Timofeev wrote:
> 2011/5/28 Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
>
> > I have named the Ruby classes beginning with 'BaculaConf' and they are:
> > ... - BaculaConfFileParser - backend for parsing configuration from files
> > (eg. for importing configuration into MySQL)
> >

> I already wrote here in 2010:
>
> During development the prototype of the my new system (Webacula 5.5),
> I tried to parse the bacula-dir.conf.
> However, this is probably not possible with simple regexp's.
> It turned out that some applications, for example, Webmin does this
> with a regexp.
>
> But they're doing it wrong!
>
> For example, here is test configuration (which is written according to
> "Bacula Main Reference: Customizing the Configuration Files")
> contains no errors in terms of Bacula (I checked it) but it would be
> wrong parsed (I have not tested it, but I'm sure of it) by 3rd parties
> parsers (not native) :

> # comment1
>  # comment2
>
>    c  o n s o l e
> { Name=name1; Password = "p; \\\a s s w o rd"; J o b A C L = *all\*
> }Con sole { N a m e = "name 2"; Pass word = "password"; JobACL =
> job/\1, job2, job3
> }

> I.e. in other words to parse with regexp any Bacula configuration will
> be very difficult.
>

> Stefan Muenkner suggested:
>
> a better solution still would be to enable bacula to dump its
> configuration as a  (e.g.) XML or JSON file, probably in a rather generic
> way so that future changes to the structure/content of the config files
> would not need additional work on behalf of the bacula developers. XML or
> JSON - as examples -  could be easily picked up by php, ruby, perl,
> python, java you name it whatever.....

Again, my goal was not to parse the configuration files and make some tool
constantly changing files which would in multi-user environment be quite a
hassle. My objective was to get the configuration into a database and play
around with it in there. And that objective was very well achieved :)

But has the theory you wrote about gained some results too?

BTW, I began with this stuff in May 2009, but it has also been on hold for a
year.

--
Silver