Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Rough start with Bacula on Ubuntu

2011-05-26 02:51:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Rough start with Bacula on Ubuntu
From: Melodie Neal <melodie.neal AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:48:16 +1000
Gentlebeings

I have a small server running Ubuntu Lucid, on which I have installed Webmin 1.550 and Bacula 5.0.1 and MySQL (applications installed using apt-get).  I am backing up to a file share on another machine, and the set up basically works.  I still need to fine tune a few things, but I can backup, etc.  However, getting to this point was a bit ugly, because the Bacula documentation does not entirely agree with the software that I have installed.  For example, I cannot find drop_bacula_tables or make_bacula_tables scripts, and a bit of Googling suggests that those scripts don't get installed on Ubuntu, for no apparent reason.  Furthermore, the Start and Stop Bacula buttons in Webmin appear to start/stop the bacula-dir process, but not the fd or sd processes.  I can start and stop everything on the command line, but I'm going to have to hand this system over to semi-technical people shortly, and they may not cope with the Linux command line (which is why I used Webmin in the first place).

Obviously the start/stop thing is a Webmin issue, but I am hoping that someone on this list will already have fought this particular battle, and can tell me how they did it.

I have considered upgrading Bacula to 5.0.3, but I don't want to find that I am opening a new can of worms by doing so.  Does anyone have any guidance on the Bacula upgrade experience on Lucid?  I would like to upgrade the machine itself, but I need a decent backup before I can attempt that.

So:  Ubuntu Lucid.  Is there anyway to get the missing database scripts, any simple fix to starting and stopping Bacula via Webmin, and will I have a better experience with Bacula 5.0.3?

Thanks and regards

Melodie