Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Rough start with Bacula on Ubuntu

2011-05-26 05:34:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Rough start with Bacula on Ubuntu
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Melodie Neal <melodie.neal AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:31:36 +0400
On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:48:16 +1000
Melodie Neal <melodie.neal AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> I have a small server running Ubuntu Lucid, on which I have installed
> Webmin 1.550 and Bacula 5.0.1 and MySQL (applications installed using
> apt-get).  I am backing up to a file share on another machine, and
> the set up basically works.  I still need to fine tune a few things,
> but I can backup, etc.  However, getting to this point was a bit
> ugly, because the Bacula documentation does not entirely agree with
> the software that I have installed.  For example, I cannot find
> drop_bacula_tables or make_bacula_tables scripts, and a bit of
> Googling suggests that those scripts don't get installed on Ubuntu,
> for no apparent reason.
The reason is this: Debian, which Ubuntu most probably borrows these
packages from, has a distro-specific framework to carry out database
reconfigurations in a centralized manner, so that you have uniform
experience when it comes to database management no matter which
software you're dealing with and which database backend you have
decided to use for it.  This does also apply to package upgrades which
often require upgrading database schemas.

So, back to the question: to recreate the database just run
# dpkg-reconfigure -plow bacula-director-mysql
and follow the questions it asks.

You can also drop the database by hand using something like
# echo 'drop database bacula' \
  | mysql --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf

Then you'll be able to create it by reconfiguring the
bacula-director-mysql package as described above.

[...]

Unfortunately, I've no idea regarding your problem with Webmin.
Probably you would be better off contacting Webmin team as I see
there's no Webmin officially packaged for Debian (and no package in
Ubuntu archives as well) so hence it's, strictly speaking, not a bug.