Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help Troubleshooting Windows FD

2011-05-04 09:52:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help Troubleshooting Windows FD
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 09:49:45 -0400
> From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
> Dear All,
>      I am trying to install the latest Win64 client downloaded from
> bacula.org on a Windows 2008 server. The application does appear to install
> correctly, but when trying to start the service it fails to start and
> generates "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly".
>
>      I actually have gotten this error, on multiple client versions, on all
> my different version (2k, 2k3, 2k8) Windows servers for over 2 years now.
> I've not EVER been able to run Bacula on Windows and really need some help
> figuring out why this is.
>
> Thank you,
> Shon

I believe the bacula win64 client installer (and possibly the win32 one
too) is broken if you do a "Custom (not recommended)" install rather than
the "Automatic" install.  It even says you'll have to edit the
bacula-fd.conf file manually if you do that.

The problem is that the resulting config file has the placeholders rather
than the values it's supposed to write into the file.  After running it, if
you open the config file and replace the items surrounded by @ characters
with meaningful values you should then be able to start the service and
have it stay running.  I think Kern mentioned at some point the next
version of Bacula will have an improved windows installer.