Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tar and Bacula doesn't work together.

2011-05-02 13:41:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tar and Bacula doesn't work together.
From: Steve Ellis <ellis AT brouhaha DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 10:25:19 -0700
On 5/2/2011 1:48 AM, obviously wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My first post here. So don't shoot me if I say/do stupid things.
>
> I got a problem with Bacula. The version I use is 2.4.4 on debian etch.
Since 2.4.4 is now nearly 4 years old, you really ought to try a more
recent version.
> My Bacula runs smootly, everything seems to work.
>
> But now, when I try to execute a tar command I get some errors.
>

> How can I solve this and is there a tool to see the tapes content when the
> daemon is running without using bconsole?

Bacula tapes are not in a format that tar understands--the only
meaningful way to find out what is on the tapes is either with bconsole,
bscan, bls, or some SQL commands against the database backend that you
are using. Of these, by far the easiest is bconsole.  Reading the tapes
to see what is on them (i.e. using bscan or bls) is hugely slow compared
to using the database to get that information.  If your database is
missing what you need (either due to misconfig or disaster recovery),
then bscan can help you.

Hope this helps,

-se