Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tar and Bacula doesn't work together.

2011-05-02 13:20:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tar and Bacula doesn't work together.
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 13:17:36 -0400
> My first post here. So don't shoot me if I say/do stupid things.
>
> I got a problem with Bacula. The version I use is 2.4.4 on debian etch.
>
> My Bacula runs smootly, everything seems to work.
>
> But now, when I try to execute a tar command I get some errors.
>
> The error:
>
> user:/etc/init.d# tar -tvf /dev/nst0
> tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot open: Device or resource busy

If you issue the unmount command in bacula it will release the tape
drive from bacula's control. Then you can use external tools. Remember
after you are done with external tools to mount the tape in bacula
using the mount command otherwise bacula will prompt you on the next
backup for user intervention.

> I discovered that the storage-daemon blocks the tape drive. So when I stop
> the daemon, i get:
>
> user:/etc/init.d# tar -tvf /dev/nst0
> tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot read: Cannot allocate memory
> tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
>
> How can I solve this and is there a tool to see the tapes content when the
> daemon is running without using bconsole?

Bacula does not write tapes in tar format. You can use bls and bscan
to look at bacula tapes.

John