Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs are not running concurrently as expected (otherwise multiplexing not working ?)

2011-04-07 08:56:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs are not running concurrently as expected (otherwise multiplexing not working ?)
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:52:52 +0100
John Drescher wrote:

> It looks like you have only 1 client with this scheme. If this is so
> you will need to set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" for the Client resource
> of bacula-dir.conf to enable concurrency for this 1 client.

As an additional point, from experience here:

Given standard disks (or even raid hardware arrays), the maximum level
of concurrency I'd recommend is 4 for a client. Anything over that is
likely to result in a slower overall rate when differential/full backups
are running.

Incrementals are usually over and done with in a few minutes but having
too many running at once can slow you down due to excessive seeking.
Again, 4 is about optimal.

If you are using short-stroked or ssd setups then higher levels of
concurrency may work for you.