Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Strange Win x64 fileset problem

2011-04-04 17:28:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] Strange Win x64 fileset problem
From: Tor Willy Austerslått <twa AT sesamdata DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 23:25:30 +0200
Hello all.
We run Bacula fd, sd and dir 5.0.3 on a single Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server in a
blade center and are (among other things) backing up several Windows Server
2003 x64 servers with it. All the x64 filedaemons are version 5.0.3 x64 VSS and
we are using the same fileset for all of them. In total, we have 25 jobs
backing up 21 clients.

Last week we began having problems backing up one particular server. It's a
terminal server with (almost) the exact same contents as servers that backs up
just fine. The backup doesn't even start, but bombs out with "Fatal error:
Socket error on Include command: ERR=Connection timed out" 15 minutes after the
job starts.

Telnetting from the dir/fd/sd server to the Win fd on the relevat ports works,
and telnetting the other way works too. "Status client" in the console claims
everything is OK. I have tested the fileset with the estimate command in the
bconsole, and it works on all other x64 servers. For the server in question,
the estimate command seems to hang and returns nothing at all.

There are no firewalls involved anywhere, neither hardware nor software. The
Win file daemon have been reinstalled a couple of times, to no avail.

I have also used the example Windows fileset in the documentation for the
estimate command, but the same thing happens: Socket error on Include command.
Full, incremental or differential makes no difference. A very short fileset
which backs up one single file works ok though. No WildDirs, no WildFiles, just
a single File=. I then suspected the fileset we're using, but since it works
great on similar Win servers and the example fileset from the official docs
exhibits the same symptoms (socket error on Include command), I'm a bit baffled.

In short: I can't for the life of me see what could be wrong. Anyone have any
useful pointers with regard to where to start looking?

Best regards,
Tor Willy Austerslått